Sunday, April 28, 2013

NaPoWriMo April 29, 2013 - A Conversation with Erato, my Muse (spoiler alert: she can be a bit direct)


Part 1

It’s not a ballad poem, she said,
it’s garbage,
and it’s even not a poem,
it’s a royal mess.

Let me show you what real poetry is, 
she said.  And she wrote: 

Were I to undress,
would it cause you distress,
or would you make perfect, sweet 
love to me? 

Were I to recline,
would it help you unwind,
or would you fret over what 
was to be?

Were I to spread wide,
would it help you decide,
or would it make you write more 
poetry?  

The words frame the plan: 
You were never “The Man” – 
It is I, your kind Muse, 
can’t you see?    


Part 2

You’ve a taste for Rodin,
Age of Bronze, Walking Man,
but these words you write down will 
last longer – 

And you like the Matisse
and Renoir, every piece,
but these thoughts laced in words will 
grow stronger –

Stick with me, your sweet Muse,
all distractions refuse,
and together, in life, we
will wander -

Writing rhythms and words
about scenes we observe,
as we share, you and I, thoughts
to ponder.  

No comments:

Post a Comment