Saturday, April 20, 2013

NaPoWriMo April 21st - Trans-Atlantic Longings


Longings

The bones are creaking -
My soul is in need
of a trans-Atlantic crossing -

A submarine would be nice:
to feel the sea all around me
underneath me
on top of me -

then emerge from the darkness and the depth
into the brightness
of a new port
and fresh food
and sweet scents of flowers and perfume -

A freighter would do the trick:
to feel the tradewinds burn my face
to taste the salt of the seaspray
and the occasional unruly wave -

to see the sunrise on the true horizon
and the sunset, day in, day out -
and the moon, ah! the moon!
And the stars for navigation on a clear crisp night.

But for now my car will do.
I’ll take a drive out west on 66
then southwest on 81.

I’ll stop at Luray Caverns
and go inside, deep inside the earth,
where trickles of condensation form mountains.

Then I’ll blast some sea shanties on the stereo
for the long drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment