Saturday, April 13, 2013

NaPoWriMo April 13th - Sonnet #44


Sonnet #44

I was a runner in my hapless youth:
two times, four times, eight times around the track;
running to things, running from things, always
in a haste, never taking time to smell
the fragrance of the roses, know the truth.
In time, life slowed me down. I changed my tack.
I learned to walk, to circumspect, unfazed
by every shiny thing my eyes beheld.
But then the boundless sea became my Muse:
Her hidden wonders and her ways seduced
my every thought. Yet she was just a phase,
A short poetic phrase and a malaise.
This sonnet owns no ending, just a star,
To capture our attention from afar.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely Raymond, I too am grateful for life's teaching me to slow down and smell the roses (well, I prefer jasmine, mmmmmmm), yes, too much hard work forced me to return to my senses and my feelings and the wonder of my childhood daze :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your note, Margaret. More poems are posted on my WordPress page: http://raymmax.wordpress.com/. So happy you are reading and enjoying. And yes, jasmine is nice. "Jasmine, night jasmine, perfect of perfume,/Heavy with dew before the dawn of day!" -Claude McKay

    ReplyDelete