Monday, December 9, 2013

This poem started its life as a sonnet…

This poem started its life as a sonnet,
but grew into its own raison d'etre - 
just like poems used to be my secret place,
but then long walks became my safe harbor - 
a refuge from too many random thoughts.

I’d briskly walk down 23rd and cast
a furtive glance at the factory where
I once worked, abandoned when its widgets
ceased to shine; and the place is overcome
by snakes and mice – feeding on each other -
a fortuitous disassociation.

Now I walk a different path: the river
curves with the earth, and bends, and pulsates,
like blood coursing through America’s veins.
I cross the river and see images
of monuments, framed by highways and trees.

It closes with a line from 55:
“Which then of God’s favors will you deny?”

No comments:

Post a Comment