Monday, December 23, 2013

Song of self

I am that Irish pennant -
sticking out from a hem or a seam,
that, if you pull on me,
the whole thing unravels/disintegrates

I am the canary in the coal mine -
When my song singing ceases,
the fresh air that you need to breathe
to survive is just about to run out

I am the A-ganger in AMR II -
running the O2 generator, the CO2 scrubber,
and the H2 burner in close, tight synchronicity;
in melodic harmony the compressors speak
to each other, while I work the pumps and valves
to maintain the nitrogen/oxygen balance 
throughout the boat.

I am the fly in the ointment –
a textural discontinuity,
a corruption in a pure system,
a something that just won’t fit in

I am the sentinel species –
and my presence or my absence,
or my well-being is a sign for your ass
of the relative health of the ecosystem


2 comments:

  1. Love the fly in the ointment. I love the sounds and the texture. Do know if you really need the (this verse.....) Your opening line was strong and compelling. Always enjoy your work. Linda Amundson modpo

    ReplyDelete